Student Elective Syllabus
The point-of-care ultrasound elective is probably the best rotation you will ever experience in your life. But nothing comes for free. What you put in is what you will get out. These four weeks are going to change your world. All we ask is that you be prompt, do the required coursework, scan a lot and have a positive attitude.
Weekly Ultrasound Meetings
We meet in Keiserman Classroom every Monday at 10AM unless otherwise told. At this time we will be doing a combination of introduction, video review, simulation and journal club.
Each Monday we will be reviewing 2 journal articles. Review both of these articles in advance so that you are prepared to join in the discussion.
You will be leading the discussion on an ultrasound related journal article during the 3rd Monday video review session. We will assign you an article the week before.
Flipped Classroom Assignments
You will have assignments that you must complete. They can be found on the assignment page . Please complete the assignments prior to the day assigned.
We also want you to complete the online ACEP exams. The exams can be found here: Exams. Please finish these exams during weeks 3 and 4. After you complete each exam, please email me your results. You will need to make an ACEP account to gain access to the exams.
- During your scanning shift please show up on time
- You can find your calendar here: Rotation Schedule
- Every ultrasound you perform must be reviewed with an attending or fellow. The treating team must be made aware of all ultrasound findings.
Do’s and Don’ts During your Rotation:
- Always wear appropriate attire (scrubs) on video review and scanning days.
- Always check with the providing attending before performing a scan to make sure it is appropriate.
- Introduce yourself to patient and explain the ultrasound procedure.
- Utilize the Minimal Archived Image Criteria while ultrasounding
- Always clean the equipment appropriately using the grey topped wipes.
- Always review your ultrasound results with the providing attending.
- Show up on time.
- Be on your cellphone during video review.
- Leave the machines in rooms or unclean.
- Set the probe down on the patient or on any surface other than the holders on the machines. It will fall and they will break and you will owe us $10,000.